ARRL Amateur Radio License Exams
We will be offering exams every other month in 2023 with testing scheduled to be conducted on these dates from 9:00 – 11:00 a.m. Please arrive before 10:00 a.m.
You must have a FCC Registration Number (FRN) prior to taking an exam – instructions on how to register with the FCC and obtain an FRN can be found on the FCC REGISTRATION WEBSITE.
Walk-ins are Welcome.
Click on an exam date if you would like to Pre-Register for an exam session.
All exams will be administered at the
Hancock County Emergency Operations Center (EOC)
640 S. Franklin Street, Greenfield, IN. Map
Cost to Get Licensed.
There are two fees associated with getting your Amateur Radio License:
(1)The American Radio Relay League (ARRL) charges a small fee to cover the cost of the test materials and for processing your Application with the FCC. This fee is paid on the day that you take your exam and can be paid in cash or with a check made out to the ARRL. Credit/Debit cards can not be accepted.
(2) After the FCC receives your Application from the ARRL they will notify you via email on how to submit the FCC License Fee directly to them.
- Under 18 years old
- ARRL Technician Exam Fee: $5
- HARC will reimburse the $5 Exam Fee for anyone receiving their license at one of our exam sessions
- FCC License Fee $35
- ARRL will reimburse 100% of the $35 FCC License Fee after your license is issued
- Net cost for a 10 year license: $0
- Over 18 years old
- ARRL Technician Exam Fee: $15
- FCC License Fee $35
- Net cost for a 10 year license: $50
If you pass your Technician exam and would also like to take the General exam during the same test session there is no additional test fee to do so. Likewise, if you pass both the Technician and General exams their is no additional charge to take the Extra exam if it is taken during that same test session.
If you do not pass your Technician test you have the option to retake a different Technician test immediately by paying another $15 exam fee.
What to Bring to your Exam Session.
- Your FRN (FCC Registration Number)
- A current government issued Photo ID
- A current Email address
- $15 ARRL Exam Fee ($5 if less than 18 years old)
- A calculator if needed (optional). Cell phone calculators cannot be used.
- Anyone who is testing to upgrade their license to General or Extra must also bring an Official Copy of their current license to the exam session. You can download or print a copy of your license on the FCC LICENSE MANAGER WEBSITE
Contact: David Keiser, KC9URP